First Church is committed to continued Christian growth and seeks to provide varied opportunities for education and fellowship. Please contact Pastor Tish Bowman at 451.2879 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions. Click here to register for adult opportunities Online.
Adult Education Opportunities We believe that adult church school is a place to learn about our faith and how it affects our lives. We also believe that we can learn from each other. A wide variety of topics are covered. The classes provide information to stimulate thinking, discussion and new ideas while getting to know the people in the class.
Men's Lenten Breakfasts
For all the MEN of the church. YES – we ARE having the MEN’S Lenten Breakfasts each Friday morning from 7:00 - 8:00 am in Wesley Hall. Breakfast each week will be prepared by our resident culinary artist, Jeff Gooder. We will sing together with Norm Bradley leading us. I will share a scripture and spend some time in prayer each week. And our featured lay speakers are all from our congregation. They will focus their comments on the theme; Why First Church is MY Church! Sign up using the Sunday bulletin insert. The speakers are:
- April 11 Ed Edwardson – spent his career in law enforcement administration and teaches at Grand Valley. Ed has been significantly involved in raising funds and developing the vision for the Ubuntu Center at Africa University. He will celebrate with us the role First Church played in this important ministry.
- April 18 Dan Miller – will share with us on Good Friday morning. Dan is the Chair of the Leadership Council and was a leader in the ‘tower project.’ Dan is a financial planner and serves in management in his firm.
Ongoing Adult Opportunities
- Book Club — Meets second Wednesday of the month at 6:00 pm in area restaurants to discuss current books. Contact Marlys Davis, 735.3339.
- Fixin' 'n' Fellowship — Meets year round every other Thursday morning at 9:00 am in room 105. We start the day with fellowship over coffee and baked goods, and then tackle minor repairs needed throughout the church buildings.
- Dinner for Eight — Participants will be assigned to three groups of eight, one in the fall, another in winter, and the third in the spring. Dinners take place in a host's home and each participant provides a dish to pass.
- Life Changing/High Commitment Study — There are a number of intensive, year-long classes held, including Disciple Bible Study I, II, III, IV, & Jesus in the Gospels, Christian Believer, and Companions in Christ.
- Long-Term Experiences — Some groups meet for a specific purpose on a regular basis weekly or monthly throughout the year, some in homes, others at church. The focus of these groups may be fellowship, sharing, prayer or study. Many started as short-term study group whose members decided to continue together.
- Moms’ Group — This is a wonderful opportunity for moms of young children to meet and support each other. Kids and dads are welcome too! Click here to see when our next event is.
- Short-term Study — During Lent and Advent, 4-6 week studies of a particular book or topic are offered to small groups.
Older Adult Opportunities
Join our many activities and ministry programs planned especially for adults who are 60 or more years of age!
- 60's + Luncheon — A catered lunch and short program. Meets the third Monday of the month at noon in Wesley Hall. Does not meet Januray, February, July, and August.
- Retiree Bible Study — Meets at 11:00 am on Monday mornings at First Place. Using the daily and weekly devotions from Christian Linving in the Mature Years, this group offers lively discussion and wonderful fellowship. New members are always welcome.
- Second Sunday Lunch Bunch — Meets the 2nd Sunday each month after worship for meal and fellowship.