First Church is committed to continued Christian growth and seeks to provide varied opportunities for education and fellowship. Please contact Pastor Tish Bowman at 451.2879 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions. Please sign up for additional adult education opportunities by using the contact information listed below.
Click here to register for adult opportunities Online.
Sunday Education Opportunities
Sunday classes are offered in a drop in format. We believe that adult church school is a place to learn about our faith and how it affects our lives. We also believe that we can learn from each other. A wide variety of topics are covered. The materials used do not require preparation, but provide information to stimulate thinking, discussion and new ideas while getting to know the people in the class.
- Christian Perspectives on the Justice System A four-week class featuring speakers and videos. Classes are Sundays, March 2 - 23 at 9:30 am in room 3107, led by Ruth Chisnall. This 4-week class will attempt to give new understanding to the issues faced by the State of Michigan in making the justice system more equitable. Our first class will be a video segment with discussion. (This is a change.) Lynda Zeller will be our guest speaker on March 16. Lynda worked in medical care of inmates in prison for the State of Michigan and is now working in the mental health field to address the issues of prison being used as housing and treatment for citizens with mental health issues. Please join us to find ways you may be able to help the justice system become more equitable.
- LENTEN STUDY Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations by Bishop Robert Schnase. You are invited to embark on a journey this Lent. The church has entered a new era. People are seeking spirituality, but not necessarily organized religion. How will the church respond? What will speak to the people of today? Robert Schnase tells us that people are searching for a church shaped and sustained by Radical Hospitality, Passionate Worship, Intentional Faith Development, Risk-Taking Mission and Service, and Extravagant Generosity. Let´s get talking about how we might use these practices to make disciples for Jesus today and into the future.
- Wednesday AM – March 5-April 9, 10:00-11:30 am @ Clark, with Dick Youells
- Thursday PM – March 6-April 10, 7:00-8:30 pm @ Kurt & Randy Kimball´s
- Sunday AM – March 9-April 13, 9:30-10:30 am @ Church, with TBD
- Sunday PM – March 9-April 13, 5:00-6:30 pm @ Church, with Pastor Bob
- Sunday PM – March 9-April 13, 5:00-6:30 pm @ Dave & Peggy Thompson´s
- Monday PM – March 10-April 14, 7:00-8:30 pm @ John & Marianne Warnock´s
- Tuesday PM – March 11-April 15, 7:00-8:20 pm @Allyson Cave´s Home
- Wednesday PM – March 12-April 9 (or 16), 6:30-8:00 pm @ Church, with Laure Mieskowski
Ongoing Adult Opportunities
- Book Club — Meets second Wednesday of the month at 6:00 pm in area restaurants to discuss current books. Contact Marlys Davis, 735.3339.
- Fixin' 'n' Fellowship — Meets year round every other Thursday morning at 9:00 am in room 105. We start the day with fellowship over coffee and baked goods, and then tackle minor repairs needed throughout the church buildings.
- Dinner for Eight — Participants will be assigned to three groups of eight, one in the fall, another in winter, and the third in the spring. Dinners take place in a host's home and each participant provides a dish to pass.
- Life Changing/High Commitment Study — There are a number of intensive, year-long classes held, including Disciple Bible Study I, II, III, IV, & Jesus in the Gospels, Christian Believer, and Companions in Christ.
- Long-Term Experiences — Some groups meet for a specific purpose on a regular basis weekly or monthly throughout the year, some in homes, others at church. The focus of these groups may be fellowship, sharing, prayer or study. Many started as short-term study group whose members decided to continue together.
- Moms’ Group — This is a wonderful opportunity for moms of young children to meet and support each other. Kids and dads are welcome too! Click here to see when our next event is.
- Short-term Study — During Lent and Advent, 4-6 week studies of a particular book or topic are offered to small groups.
Join our many activities and ministry programs planned especially for adults who are 60 or more years of age!
- 60's + Luncheon — A catered lunch and short program. Meets the third Monday of the month at noon in Wesley Hall. Does not meet Januray, February, July, and August.
- Retiree Bible Study — Meets at 11:00 am on Monday mornings at First Place. Using the daily and weekly devotions from Christian Linving in the Mature Years, this group offers lively discussion and wonderful fellowship. New members are always welcome.
- Second Sunday Lunch Bunch — Meets the 2nd Sunday each month after worship for meal and fellowship.